Enjoy an all-inclusive, immersive textile retreat on Salt Spring Island
Shannon has a degree in Textile Design and Art history from Alberta College of Art, Calgary, and Emily Carr College of Art, Vancouver in addition to a Masters in Arts Education - Simon Fraser University. Her love of nature in abstracted botanical imagery culminated in repeat exhibits at the Royal Horticultural Society’s Chelsea Flower show as well as the Museum of Garden History, London.
Learn, Explore, Play
Whether you are a beginner looking to embark on a textile exploration or a seasoned fibre artist, my unique approach and patient tutelage will take you further than you thought possible into the layered, sumptous world of textile expression.
Learn in a relaxed playful environment at our heritage waterfront garden property on Salt Spring Island, known as a crucible of creativity, and blend hands-on learning with restorative nature hikes, exploring artisan boutiques, the Saturday market, studio tour, beaches,vineyards and evening artist talks.
Salt Spring Island is known as a crucible of creativity. Join master textile artist and teacher Shannon Wardroper in a nourishing, small group of fellow makers. Art retreats are not just learning opportunities: you'll be staying at a well appointed oceanside heritage homestay within walking distance of the charming village of Ganges. Treat yourself to a tonic for mind, body and soul.
Process + Discovery
- Processes include the following.
- By your own hand or using found images, Shannon will guide you in creating personal meaningful imagery to begin your visual journey utilizing stencilling, block printing, thermofax screenprinting, photo printing and transfer drawing.
- Suspended dying- using the ancient Japanese roketsuzome technique of patterning kimono- but in a contemporary way.
- Waxing using aromatic beeswax as a resist for the dyes to create pattern.
- Ironing out the wax
- Selection and cutting to utilize the magical parts of your efforts in a large textile art finished piece.
- Assemblage using various simple piecing techniques for any level of student, appliqué and embroidery.
“Shannon is a patient, experienced, and deeply intuitive teacher who taps into your own creative vibe but still guides you into new terrain. A pleasure to work with, play with and stay with!”